Race day

I woke up to a 6am which meant I had time to get in some last minute stretching on the hurty hip, as well as making sure I got some breakfast.

We arrived at Victoria Park just after 7am, but we’d missed the bus my daughter should have been on to help on a water station with her Guides, so Paul had to negotiate the road closures to take her.

Carrying tables to the LiveWire tent served as a warm up and all too soon it was time for the off.

Ready for the off.

Ready for the off.

The start was delayed a bit, but at 9.20am we were off.

The race went remarkably well.  I managed to keep a fairly even pace of around 10.15 minute miles, and even managed several sub 10 miles on the downhills.  As I knew I wasn’t ever going to be challenging for the lead, I started well down the field.  I think this helped as it meant I was passing people most of the way round – always a little boost. The sun was shining and the lovely countryside for most of the course meant I ran with a smile on my face most of the way!

My splits:

Mile Pace Elapsed time
1.0 mi 09:52 min/mi 00:09:50
2.0 mi 10:27 min/mi 00:10:23
3.0 mi 10:09 min/mi 00:10:06
4.0 mi 10:30 min/mi 00:10:23
5.0 mi 09:54 min/mi 00:09:54
6.0 mi 09:58 min/mi 00:09:53
7.0 mi 10:09 min/mi 00:10:05
8.0 mi 10:04 min/mi 00:10:02
9.0 mi 10:11 min/mi 00:10:06
10.0 mi 09:46 min/mi 00:09:42
11.0 mi 09:38 min/mi 00:09:34
12.0 mi 09:54 min/mi 00:09:51
13.0 mi 09:54 min/mi 00:09:50
13.3 mi 09:09 min/mi 00:02:57

The support on the course was fab.  My mum was on the bridge at the start and the end, another friend was halfway and I heard my daughter loudly cheering everyone on from her water station long before I saw her!

My daughter, one of the fab volunteers

My daughter, one of the fab volunteers

Paul popped up several times around the course and at 10 miles remembered I’d left jelly babies with him and helped me and several other runners on with them.

The last mile and a half were really hard especially after seeing a bloke stretchered off in a bad way as I turned into the park.   As I turned into Victoria Park I felt my hip go, but managed to grit my teeth for the last half a mile.

In the final straight on the track I heard my mate Laura screaming for me and managed a bit of a sprint and to finish with my arms aloft.

Crossing the line

Crossing the line

I was over the moon with my chip time of 2:13:30.  A pb for the course and much faster than anticipated.

With my medal

With my medal

I managed to get a post race massage from  physio station and Paul and my son got last minute places in the LiveWire mile.

LiveWire milers

LiveWire milers

I could barely walk by the evening, but still had a smile on my face from a race well run.

Great organisation and a great spirit all through the race.  Thanks to all the organisers and volunteers.

While I was training for the half, we found out that the daughter of one of the managers at work was suffering from a brain tumour and needed treatment in the USA.  As we were running for LiveWire we decided to raise money for the fund set up to support her and her family “Erin Grace Whatever it Takes”.  I’ve been amazed by people’s generosity and so far I’ve raised nearly £150.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s